International Journal of Advanced Academic Studies
  • Printed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Advanced Academic Studies

2021, Vol. 3, Issue 3, Part D

Challenges with English possessive (’s) for Afghan Dari Persian first language speakers


Author(s): Mahmood Usmanyar

Abstract: This research article studied the challenges Afghan engineering undergraduate students faced with apostrophe s in their conversations. For this purpose, 10 students (7 male and 3 female) from 3 different departments of Computer Science faculty of Kabul polytechnic University were selected as the informants of the research. All 10 informants were interviewed, recorded and the data was analyzed. It was finally found out that the students experienced problems with usage as well as the pronunciation of the apostrophe s. In terms of usage, 80 percent of the informants missed apostrophe s with nouns in possessive case. Moreover, the rest 20 percent of the informants faced problem with the pronunciation of the apostrophe s. That is, they pronounced the apostrophe s as /s/ in all cases. This research article has a significant role in improving students’ language competence as it tempts English language teachers to keep track of the students’ mistakes (especially common mistakes) in order to prevent them being fossilized and as a result offer a better quality of teaching English.

Pages: 265-268 | Views: 31 | Downloads: 20

Download Full Article: Click Here
How to cite this article:
Mahmood Usmanyar. Challenges with English possessive (’s) for Afghan Dari Persian first language speakers. Int J Adv Acad Stud 2021;3(3):265-268.
International Journal of Advanced Academic Studies